Friday, August 23, 2019

Staying well and avoiding those pesky colds

UPDATE: This post was written before the Coronovirus situation: please just follow current government advice with a virus this deadly.

I'm posting this because I'm a singer and also a priest, and therefore, over time I've found some ways to avoid a lot of the colds going around over Autumn and Winter, but before sharing some hints and tips please be aware that I am not a doctor. Please, therefore check with a proper doctor before using, especially if you are in a vulnerable group.

When I was a cathedral Precentor I was expected to sing Evensong on a daily basis, sometimes to very large crowds (up to 1500 on special occasions), but, as a priest, I also met a lot of people, some of whom inevitably had germs. especially at Christmas. Over time I learnt some ways to avoid at least some of these germs, but I didn't escape entirely.  I would still  have one or two colds in six months . But this was a great improvement on when I was younger when I had a cold every few weeks. So here is what I did, As I'm not a doctor I can't promise on the efficacy of all the techniques, but if you avoid at least one cold this winter, then maybe I've made the world a slightly better place!

1- Vitamin intake. The merits of vitamin C have been widely publicised, but many adults are also lacking in vitamin D, particularly in the winter. There have been recent studies on this. (Google vitamin D and immune system to find some research). Taking Echinacea Purpurea may also be useful as a preventative measure. Studies seem to suggest this is a good idea. But there may be a downside I don't know about. (see above - check with your doctor!) . I take all 3 of these, plus I aim to have a healthy diet with lots of fruit and vegetables.

2- Water. We don't drink nearly enough of the stuff, and studies say that keeping well hydrated does help. (Again, look up the studies for yourself).

3 - Sleep.  Get sufficient for your needs. It varies with each person.

4 - Exercise. Even when you're feeling tired do some moderate exercise. I found I was too busy to get out to a gym so did some mild aerobics every day for ten minutes or so at home.

5- Try to stay some distance away from someone with a cold, and also please have the courtesy to do the same with other people if you know you have a cold. Tell them! They may be vulnerable or work with someone who is immune compromised.



Now I have saved my top five methods for last.

1 - Get the flu jab. It doesn't cost very much these days and will rule out a number of very nasty infections.

2- Use hand gel. Particularly before and after shaking someone's hand (as we do during the peace in communion services). You do not want to share your germs with someone else and I'm sure they don't want to give you theirs.

3 - Do not touch your nose mouth or eyes or eat unless you have washed your hands or gelled your hands.

4- Saline spray. I now use Sterimar (other sprays are available). It is brilliant! It is simply salt water (so you can make your own solution if Sterimar is too dear). I use it as a preventative when I've been around germy people. I also use it when I'm coming down with a cold. Even when I have a heavy cold it makes blowing my nose more pleasant and unblocks my nose. I use it when I've been near a plant I am allergic too (I have mild hay fever sometimes).  It's just awesome! (no they haven't paid me to say this). I used to get colds every time I flew in an aeroplane but after using this I can fly out on holiday and actually enjoy myself without getting ill. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I also gargle with salt water if I have been near someone with a sore throat

5 - I used to wish that there was something like saline spray but for the chest and throat colds that also go around. There were a few winters where I didn't get a single head cold (due to the Sterimar use) but did get sore throats and chest infections. Then I found the salt pipe! Again there are several brands around. I use the Cisca one. (No, they don't pay me to say this!) It is just salt in a plastic container shaped like an inhaler. You simply breathe through it. It is meant to imitate those salt caves that people use as therapy in some places. I don't know if any studies have been done on it, but it seems to work for me. The instructions say use it for five minutes at a time. I don't usually. I just do 30 seconds or so as a preventative or if I felt that something was coming on, and it cut the number of chest and throat infections I had dramatically. (Of course this may be coincidence but I don't think it is). I can't see a downside as it's just salt, but it's always a good idea to check with a doctor if you're not sure.

Anyway there are all the things I do. Perhaps they might help you too. Perhaps some of it might seem like overkill to you, but I used to work with professional singers. If they had a bad cold they couldn't work. But actually for those of us who work with vulnerable people like the elderly or those undergoing chemotherapy a virus may have very nasty consequences for them. So I see it as part of my way of showing love to others, to try and not share my germs with them.




No comments: