Friday, July 22, 2005

Arkaos (I *love* it!)

Sorry I've not been posting much lately. I've been busy doing lots of stuff for Naomi's wedding (the full multimedia Visions works!) and at the same time trying to write 6000 words on the synod of Whitby for college. Anyway, in between all that frantic activity, I have been making some discoveries. We were asked to do visuals at a recent youth event, and, as not many of us were available (and it was the day before the make poverty history march in Edinburgh) I didn't want to take all our equipment with me. So I downloaded the trial version of Arkaos and just went with a laptop and projector. I am impressed! Its not so good at actual "mixing" as you have to define the transparency parameters of each clip beforehand, rather than mix on the fly. But it is so great at dance stuff, as you have lots of choice of effects including tunnels, cubes, bubbles, filmstrips floating up the wall etc to spice up even relatively simple video clips, and "playing" in real time is really easy. The downside is that playing with Arkaos for three hours gave me some strange dreams of walking up the high street which suddenly wrapped itself around a spinning cube!

The other good thing about the software from a church perspective is that you can buy 6 licenses for the price of 1 and a 1/2
so that your whole church-video-team can have it, play on it and learn to use it. It works on Macs and PCs too.

If you want to check out the software for yourself this is the URL of the Arkaos site.
http://www.arkaos.net/

No comments: